About the Library
The mission of the Library of the Caribbean Court of Justice is to provide access to legal knowledge and information consistent with the present and anticipated research needs of the Court.
The Library which is primarily reference was set up in 2005 to support the information needs of the Court and the practicing bar in the contracting member states of the Caribbean Community.
The Library’s collection consists of both primary and secondary materials from the English-speaking Caribbean and Suriname as well as from Commonwealth jurisdictions such as the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Holdings are in both print and electronic format. The materials in the library are classified using the Moys Classification Scheme for Legal Materials.
Caribbean Court of Justice Library
134 Henry Street
Port of Spain
Republic of Trinidad and Tobago
Telephone: (868) 623-2225, ext. 4263
Fax: (868) 625-4269; (868) 627-8259
Tel: (868) 623 2225, ext. 4251
Tel: (868) 623 2225, ext. 3235
Tel: (868) 623 2225, ext. 4263
Service is provided from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.
The collection is available for use by Judges and staff of the Caribbean Court of Justice, judicial officers of other courts, and attorneys-at-law and their representatives. Other individuals wishing to use the Library must apply in advance of their visit for permission.
The Library provides a range of library and information services to its users. A photocopying service is available at a cost of TTD 0.50 per exposure.
Computers are available for catalogue searches, internet access and general use.
The Library subscribes to a number of databases for legal research. Access is by password.
Full text of most of the unreported judgments from all Commonwealth Caribbean territories.
Comprehensive coverage from inception of a large collection of law and law-related materials available in an online, fully searchable, image-based format. Access is provided to the following:
- English Reports
- Foreign & International Law Resources Database
- Law Journal Library
- Legal Classics
- Revised Statutes of Canada
- United Nations Law Collection
- Women and the Law
- World Constitutions Illustrated
- World Treaty Library
A legal citatory which cross-references cases, legislation and journal articles from all major online legal data providers, including Justis, LexisNexis, Westlaw, BAILII and < Casetrack. It covers all major case law series from the UK and Ireland, as well as EU law and an increasing number of titles from common law jurisdictions around the world.
Full text UK cases including the Law Reports, All England Law Reports, West Indian Reports and the Law Reports of the Commonwealth as well as legislation, journal articles, legal commentary and forms and precedents. Access is provided to Halsbury’s Law of England, Atkins Court Forms and the Encyclopedia of Forms and Precedents.
UK, US, EU and international legal material including cases, legislation, journal articles, leading texts, news and newspapers.
Our Current Awareness Bulletin is now compiled every three months. It highlights new titles and legislation received at the Library from the Caribbean countries. Our Bulletins for the year 2019 are below:
Caribbean – Online Judgments
- The Bahamas – Court of Appeal
- Belize – Court of Appeal, Supreme Court
- Trinidad & Tobago
Caribbean – Online Legislation
- Antigua and Barbuda
- The Bahamas
- Jamaica – Revised Laws & Annual Laws
- Trinidad & Tobago – Revised Laws & Annual Laws
Legal Information Institutes
- Asian Legal Information Institute (AsianLII)
- Australasian Legal Information Institute (AustLII)
- British and Irish Legal Information Institute (BailII)
- Canadian Legal Information Institute (CANLII)
- Commonwealth Legal Information Institute
- Hong Kong Legal Information Institute (HongKongLII)
- Legal Information Institute (Cornell)
- New Zealand Legal Information Institute
- Pacific Islands Legal Information Institute (PacLII)
- Southern African Legal Information Institute
- World Legal information Institute (WorldLII)
- European Court of Justice
- European Court of Human Rights
- International Court of justice
- International Criminal Court
- CARICOM- Caribbean Community Secretariat
- The Integrationist Caribbean
- Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States [OECS]
Treaties and related Documents
- Fletcher Multilaterals Project – Treaties
- United Nations Treaty Collection
- CIESIN Environmental Treaties and Resource Indicators [ENTRI]
- WIPO – Treaties administered by
- British and Irish Legal Information Institute
- The Supreme Court
- The Judiciary of England and Wales
- Judicial Committee of the Privy Council
- Legislation – Public General Acts and Statutory Instruments